Family Fun on the Trails!
For the last two years, we have engaged in bi-weekly kid and family rides throughout the summer and fall. Now is the time to get back into the swing of things and hit the trail with our kids and families.
There’s a special bond between kids and bikes that can never be broken. Riding a bike is a rite of passage, a passport to worlds beyond the front lawn. Bikes represent fun, freedom, and fresh air — everything that’s good about being a kid (age doesn’t apply here). Moreover, biking is a healthy pastime that kids will never outgrow. Children of all shapes, sizes, and abilities can ride a bike. Most important, bicycling is a healthy outdoor activity that the entire family can enjoy together.
During the rides, we like to incorporate skills and cheering stations. Okay, you probably are saying ‘I got the skills stations, but what is a cheering station?’ While one kid or adult is working the skill at the obstacle, creek crossing, etc.; the other participants are watching, learning, and cheering for their newly found riding buddies. A true win-win-win scenario!
Get the kids out for some family fun!
Bicycling can bridge generations and bring family members together. Here are five ways to make your family cycling trips enjoyable:
1. Find bike paths in your area. We got that covered!
2. Make sure your family is comfortably dressed and prepared for the elements. In warm weather, for instance, wear lightweight fabrics that wick away moisture and sweat; in cold weather, dress in layers. Also, have everyone stock a backpack or camelback to take along on the ride.
3. Don’t forget your gear. Take water bottles, sunglasses, sunscreen, hats, bike locks, a tire pump, a pressure gauge, a small tool kit, sandwiches, healthy snacks, and a camera. Be sure that kids aren’t overloaded with heavy items that could affect their balance.
4. Make frequent stops during your ride. Take breaks — especially on hot, humid days — for drinks, snacks, and picture taking.
5. Chronicle your family’s excursion with photographs. Taking pictures is fun for the kids and a great way to preserve pleasant memories. Make sure to let everyone snap a couple of shots, capturing everything from scenic landscapes to family portraits.
As you (and as we) capture these memories, let’s share them with our local community. Send your pictures to email@example.com along with a brief narrative of your fun-filled day.
For more on Family bike riding visit: http://www.parents.com/fun/sports/exercise/bicycle-riding/?page=1